About the Recipe
This roasted red pepper hummus is made with simple ingredients, naturally vegan and gluten-free, and makes a healthy snack! Pair with some raw veggies or homemade pita chips for a crowd-pleasing appetizer!
- 2 Red bell peppers (Or 3/4 Cup Jarred roasted red peppers, chopped)
- 15 oz Can Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 Cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Tahini
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons Ground cumin
- Pinch Cayenne pepper, optional
- 2-3 Tablespoons Water
- To taste Salt
1) In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds more. This extra time helps “whip” or “cream” the tahini, making the hummus smooth and creamy.
2) Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds or until well blended.
3) Open, drain, and rinse the chickpeas. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, then add remaining chickpeas and process until thick and quite smooth; 1 to 2 minutes.
4) Add the roasted peppers and continue to process for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. If the hummus is too thick or still has tiny bits of chickpea, with the food processor turned on, slowly add 1 to 3 tablespoons of water or aquafaba until you are happy with the consistency.
5) Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
6) Finely chop the reserved peppers.
7) Spoon hummus into a bowl, make a small well in the middle and add the chopped peppers.
8) Store homemade hummus in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one week.